Meyerland Community Improvement Association
4999 W. Bellfort
Houston, TX  77035
  Phone  713-729-2167

Explanation of Permit Requirements


We want to clarify the “50% rule” and the “Substantial Damage” letter that some of you have received from the Mayor. The City is preparing an information sheet to be placed on all residents’ doors explaining how you will be able to repair your home without having to raise your home.

If you have questions about what to do with your home, it is important that you ask the city, a licensed REALTOR®, FEMA and/or your insurance company. Do not guess and do not rely on hearsay. Each homeowner’s situation may be different. The Meyerland Community Improvement Association can try to answer your questions for you or assist you in deciding whom to contact.

If you reside in the Floodplain, there are facts you need to know in order to move forward with the repair of your home due to flood damage. You will need to meet with contractors to get estimates of the cost to repair your home. The contractor you hire will obtain the necessary City permits.

See Frequently Answered Questions (FAQs) on the city’s website:

See also for helpful information during your recovery.


If repairs to your flood-damaged home cost less than $10,000, NOT including the cost to remove the damaged material, the City of Houston does not require you to obtain a permit to complete the repairs. You can proceed with your repair work.



If repairs to your flood damaged home will cost more than $10,000, NOT including the cost to remove the damaged material, you need to obtain a permit from the City of Houston. A good, licensed contractor will obtain the necessary permits.

If the repairs due to flood damage will cost you less than 50% of the appraised value of your home (calculated by taking the appraised value of your home and dividing by two), you can do the following:

  • Visit the Flood Management Office (FMO) where you will receive a Floodplain Development Permit. FMO, 832-394-8854.
  • Bring a copy of the flood damage repair checklist – which includes a project cost estimate worksheet - is available here OR bring a copy of the contractor’s bid o Bring the appraisal of your home (which can be found at ) to the City of Houston permit office, 1002 Washington Avenue, (8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday).
  • Bring a copy of the Substantial Damage Determination Appeal – available here – if you received the “Substantial Damage” letter from the Mayor’s office.


If the repairs to your home will cost you more than 50% of the appraised value of your home (calculated by taking the appraised value of your home and dividing by two), you can:

  • Try to improve the appraised value of your structure

**by hiring a certified appraiser to review your property at the pre-damaged condition. If you have an appraisal performed within the last few years, it may suffice and you would not need a new appraisal. If your new value is more than two times the cost of your repairs, you can go to the city to get a Floodplain Development permit to proceed.

**by using the value of your home on your insurance claim’s Proof of Loss. If that value is more than two times the cost of your repairs, you may go to the city to get a Floodplain Development permit to proceed.

  • If your repairs still cost more than the value of your home, you will need to consider other options. They include:

**Raising your home so that the bottom floor is at least twelve inches above the Base Flood Elevation (BFE). Get several estimates prior to signing any agreement with a contractor. An “Elevation Certificate” will tell you what the BFE is for your property. We are seeing estimates for elevating a Meyerland home between $120,000 and $160,000. FEMA might offer assistance with this cost. See

**Start over. Build a new home on your lot. Get several builder estimates prior to signing any agreement.

Before making either of these last decisions, please speak to a licensed Texas REALTOR® who will be assist you with the market value of your home.

City of Houston Permitting Questions answered on site at MCIA

The City of Houston is placing employees from the Flood Management Office and Code Enforcement Department on the property at the Meyerland Association office found at 4999 West Bellfort starting Friday June 12th through Sunday June 14th from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. They will be here to answer questions for homeowners who have received flood damage to their homes.

You can expect that they will be able to tell you if you need to get a permit and will give you the appropriate documents that will prepare you for your visit to their main office. That office is located at 1002 Washington Avenue. We have also just learned that the permit office on Washington Avenue will be open to receive flood damage permit requests this coming Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.   

Please visit these helpful employees as they will assist you with moving forward with your repairs plans.

This information is also available online at 

You may also visit for other important updates and information.

Multi-Agency Resource Center

OPEN FROM 12:00 P.M. TO 8:00 P.M. THROUGH FRIDAY, JUNE, 12, 2015

An assistance center has opened at Westbury United Methodist Church found at 5200 Willowbend Blvd. (on Willowbend at West Bellfort). At this location, you find many agencies dedicated to assist you in the recovery of your flooded property and to deal with the stresses and concerns over the disaster event.

It is open to people of all denominations, and there is no cost for the services received. All homeowners who have suffered loss, should stop by and visit with the wonderful volunteers who have come from around the world to help flood victims manage their recovery.

Organizations on site include:

All Hands Volunteers
American Red Cross
Lone Star Legal Aid
Mental Health America
Texas Annual Conference United Methodist Church

And many others...

Join the MCIA Email List

MCIA is actively sharing information with residents about flood recovery and resources that are available to residents.  All Meyerland residents are encouraged to sign up to receive communication from MCIA via email. 

Please fill out the information below to add your name to the email list. 


You will be added to the general MCIA email list and receive all future communications.  MCIA will never share your email address with other parties.

Keep watch out for theft of personal property.

With all of the items placed out at the curb for trash pick-up and in the yard for drying, other people from various parts of town have entered our neighborhood to take away some of these items. Unfortunately, they are helping themselves not only to the trash but also to non-trash items. Precinct 5 has many additional, very visible Deputies in our area and is assisting you in the protection of the items you want to keep, but they cannot be in all locations at all times. Please watch out for each other, close your doors and windows at night, set your alarms, and call Precinct 5 Deputies when a crime has been committed.

FEMA has declared disaster area for Harris County

Individuals and business owners who sustained losses in the designated area can begin applying for assistance by registering online at or by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or by web enabled mobile device at

Disaster assistance applicants, who have a speech disability or hearing loss and use TTY, should call 1-800-462-7585 directly; for those who use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 1-800-621-3362.

The toll-free telephone numbers will operate from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. (local time) seven days a week until further notice.

You will need:

  • Social Security number
  • Current and pre-disaster address
  • Telephone number where you can be contacted
  • Insurance information
  • Total household annual income
  • Routing and account number from your bank (only necessary if you want to have disaster assistance funds transferred directly into your bank account).
  • Description of your losses that were caused by the disaster.

The link below provides a helpful spreadsheet for documenting contents losses:

Don’t forget to:

  • Document your damage in detail using your digital camera or cell phone.
  • Clean out your home.  Place all debris near the curb.  The City is working to pick up this debris within 30 days.  Please do NOT spend money renting a dumpster, The City will be picking up debris BEGINNING Saturday May 30, 2015.  Please place it between the sidewalk and street for collection.
  • For the next 8 weeks MCIA will not be citing our residents for heavy trash violations.

What the City is doing for you:

  • City is coordinating volunteers to assist those hardest hit near Brays Bayou and will be posting information on
  • CenterPoint is working in our area.  They must carefully test the lines so as to avoid electrocution. They are working to restore power ASAP.
  • City tap water is drinkable.

Extended MCIA Office Hours:  9 am- 5 pm.   Come by the office to charge your phones or other devices, get some water, sit in the A/C or get additional information.

MCIA website will be updated with the most current information.  You are welcome to call the office directly at 713.729.2167 with any questions.  In addition, please feel free to email us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

More Articles...

  1. Neighbors helping Neighbors
  2. More help available for flood victims
  3. Flood Debris Collection begins
  4. Assistance for uninsured property owners